Call Today: 877-825-1179

La Porte Chamber of Commerce
VERIFIED Seal Success Tax Relief, LLC BBB Business Review    
What To Do If You Don’t Receive a W-2 Form from Your Employer

What To Do If You Don’t Receive a W-2 Form from Your Employer

By on Apr 5, 2016 in Taxes | 0 comments

What To Do If You Don’t Receive a W-2 Form from Your EmployerDon’t panic! 

Legally, every employer that has issued wages over the amount of $600 must issue a W-2 Form. So, if you did not receive one from your employer, it could be that you earned less than $600 from them that year. In a case like this, that company is not legally obligated to issue you a W-2 or even a 1099 Form.

What is a 1099 Form?

A 1099 Form is issued to freelancers or contractual workers who are not officially on a company’s employee payroll, but is used whenever an employer has paid over $600 for services. In short, if you are employed with a company or have provided services to a company and have accepted wages over $600 for that year, you should expect to receive a W-2 or 1099 Form before the end of January.

Exactly When Should You Expect to Receive Your W-2s

Unfortunately, that getting your W-2s by then end of January does not always happen. For those who are expecting a refund, this can become quite frustrating. Oftentimes, companies will issue their W-2s and 1099s at the beginning of the month. This usually depends on how big or small the company is and how they operate their accounting department.

Be Proactive

At any rate, if you haven’t received your W-2s and/or 1099 by the 1st of February, it is highly recommended to call that business to verify that they have you on file as one of their payees. For freelancers and contractual workers, another way to verify this is to keep your check stubs and/or invoices for your own records. It is possible for companies to get disorganized and overlook your paperwork. In cases like this, you’ll have a copy to issue to the company proving that you provided services to them.

For official employees, it shouldn’t be too difficult for them to verify you as employee, having already been processed through the human resource department. Nonetheless, it is possible that they may have skipped over you when calculating their annual payroll. In cases like this, the human resource department will issue it immediately and if requested, may even expedite the form to you.

Reasons Behind the Delays

There are a myriad of reasons why you may not have received your W-2s or 1099 Form. The above explanations don’t always apply. This is the worst-case scenario. At the beginning of the year, the United States Post Office is bombarded with W-2s that they have to deliver before the end of January. This, combined with the existing transfer of mail can also delay the regular delivery schedule. Oftentimes, you just need to wait a few days, but you shouldn’t wait too long before contacting the business to make sure your paperwork has indeed been processed.

Take Action

So if by February 1st, you haven’t received your W-2s or 1099 Form, don’t panic, just wait a few days to see if the mail delayed, then call your employer(s) to verify whether or not they mailed it out to you. If for some reason they don’t have you on file and you believe you are owed a W-2 or 1099 Form, contact the professional tax relief experts at Success Tax Relief at 877-825-1179 today or schedule a consultation with us online now.

Post a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

7 Secrets the IRS Doesn’t Want You to Know About!

Download FREE Report

We will never spam you.