Call Today: 877-825-1179

La Porte Chamber of Commerce
VERIFIED Seal Success Tax Relief, LLC BBB Business Review    
What to Do If You Have Not Received a W2 Form

What to Do If You Have Not Received a W2 Form

By on Mar 13, 2014 in Tax Problems, Tax Refund | 0 comments

What to Do If You Have Not Received a W2 FormNow is a great time to start looking through all of the tax documents that have arrived via mail or email and make sure that you have everything you need.  The very first thing to check off the list is your W-2 forms.  You should receive one Wage and Tax Statement (W-2) from your employer if you have received income in the previous tax year.  This form must have information about income, Social Security and Medicare taxes that have been withheld.  This form should arrive by January 31st each year.  If you have not yet received, do not panic.  We have outlined several steps you can take to ensure that your taxes are not late as a result:

1.  Take a second look around: 

Make sure that this form did not get hidden in another piece of mail, or is sitting in a pile of papers around the house.  Also, check your office. Sometimes employers do not mail these to your home but deliver them to an employee box or even expect you to pick them up from an HR representative.  You can also check your email or look online at your HR website to see if you can print out a copy.

2.  Contact your employer: 

If you have exhausted all of the obvious options and are left realizing you do not have access to a copy, contact your employer.  If your address changed or it is a new job, it may be in a pile they have for W-2s that were returned or unsent.  Your employer should be able to give you another copy without a problem.

3.  Unusual Circumstances: 

Sometimes getting a new copy from your employer is not that easy.  If you have moved out of state or the company has shut down or moved, it is still best to spend time trying to reach them.  Your best bet may be to put your request in writing so that you have a record that you made an effort to retrieve a copy.

4.  Contact the IRS: 

If none of these options work, your next step is to make contact with the IRS.  You can do this any time after mid-February.  You can call them directly to let them know that you have not received the W-2.  They will make contact with your employer and your W-2 SHOULD arrive soon thereafter.  It is in your employer’s best interest to send this to you.

5.  File a form 4852: 

If on tax day, April 15th (and not before), you still do not have your W-2, then you should contact the IRS again by filing a form 4852 to the IRS.

Other things to note:

You should also resist the urge to file before you receive your actual W-2.  You might think that you have all of the correct information, but even if it is just a few cents off, it may raise a red flag on your return.  Do not forget that the IRS also receives a copy of the W-2 from the company so they will be able to know if the numbers are off or inaccurate.  Finally, if you get into a situation where you are not getting anywhere with obtaining your W-2 or filing your taxes, call Success Tax Relief at 877-825-1179 for help.  As a full service tax firm with 30 years of experience, we can quickly help you with all types of tax issues and solve all types of difficult situations with your employers and with the IRS.

Post a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

7 Secrets the IRS Doesn’t Want You to Know About!

Download FREE Report

We will never spam you.