10 Famous People Who’ve Gotten in Trouble With the IRS
During the tax season many of us are in the process of filing taxes and even paying a large chunk of money to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). The thing about taxes is that all Americans have to file—no matter the amount of your salary, your net worth, or your celebrity status. And, celebrity status does not prevent the IRS from coming to collect what is due.
Here are 10 famous people who have had some issues with the IRS:
- Wesley Snipes reportedly did not pay his taxes between the years of 1999-2001 and owed the IRS more than $7 million in back taxes. Snipes served more than 2 years in federal prison for this infraction.
- Pete Rose is famous for his gambling as he was for his baseball skills. He also ran into problems with the IRS. Rose did not report the income he received from signing autographs and making public appearances and ended up spending 5 months in jail and paid a hefty fine.
- Willie Nelson, the famous country singer owed the IRS more than $16M in the 1990s. The IRS seized many of his possessions and he ended up using profit from one of his next albums to pay a large portion of what he owed.
- Known for his outlandish spending, Nicolas Cage was hit with a multi-million dollar tax lien in 2009.
- John Travolta battled the IRS in the late 1990s and ended up agreeing to pay more than $600,000 to the government after allegedly claiming more than $2M in unspecified losses that the IRS deemed improper.
- Pop singer Lionel Richie received a tax lien from the IRS of over $1 million for failing to pay his income taxes. This tax issue was resolved in 2014.
- OJ Simpson has had many run-ins with the law, including serious tax problems. Currently, even though he is serving time for other crimes, he allegedly owes the IRS upwards of a half a million dollars.
- Lindsay Lohan has a long history with the IRS. She has been in trouble with the IRS three times, between 2009 and 2011 with unpaid tax bills ranging from $56,000 to $140,000.
- Robert Downey Jr. had serious tax issues in the 1980s and 1990s before kicking drugs going from aa to parenthood and reigniting his career as Marvel Comic’s Iron Man. He reportedly owed about $2 million.
- Teresa and Joe Giudice achieved fame for their roles on the Real Housewives of New Jersey. They were indicted for 39 counts of fraud and other tax charges. Both will end up spending time in prison and Joe may even be deported back to Italy as a part of his punishment.
Solve Your Tax Problems Today
Fame and fortune does not make you immune to tax obligations. If you owe back taxes to the IRS, it’s only a matter of time before you hear from them directly about paying what you owe. Now is a great time be proactive about any tax issue you have so that you can breathe easy knowing that you have a plan in place to pay your tax debt. Call Success Tax Relief at 877-825-1179 if you would like help navigating this process. You can even email us too!