How To Check The Status Of Your Tax Refund
From the moment you complete your taxes and know that the Internal Revenue Service owes you a refund, you start counting the days until it arrives. Fortunately, the IRS has made it very easy to check the status of your return, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, whether you are expecting a refund check in the mail or an electronic deposit into your bank account. Follow these simple step by step instructions so that you can know exactly when to expect your money!
1. Wait!If you have filed electronically, the IRS needs approximately 3 days to receive your tax return and get it into their online system. If you mailed in your return, you will need to wait about 3 weeks to ensure that your return has been received. Note: You will receive your return sooner if you e-file!
2. Pull out a copy of your returnThe IRS will need certain specific information from your return in order to check the status of your refund. Normally, the IRS will need your social security number (and that of your spouse if you file jointly), the filing status that you chose (single, married, married filing jointly, etc.) and the exact amount of your refund. You will need to be asked to enter this information directly on the secure IRS website.
3. Go to the IRS website (http://www.irs.gov) and click on Where’s My Refund?
Enter the information that is requested and you will quickly receive one of several responses from the IRS:
● Acknowledgement that your return was received and is being processed
● The expected mailing date or direct deposit date of your refund
● Notice that the IRS could not deliver your refund due to an incorrect address. In this case, you can try to change or correct your address online or provide other necessary information electronically.
Other helpful information and resources:
No internet access? No problem! You can also call toll free to check on the status of your refund.
Call the IRS Refund Hotline at 1-800-829-4477. When you call, you must also provide you or your spouse’s Social Security number, your filing status and the exact whole dollar refund amount shown on your return. This service is available in both English and Spanish.Would you like to check your refund status from your smartphone? The IRS now has a free smartphone application that you can download on your iPhone or Android. Visit the Apple App Store or the Android Marketplace for the free download. Then, you will be able to check the status of your refund right from your phone!
Typically, the IRS issues tax refunds within 21 days of receiving your tax return. This does not include mail and some handling time. There are many possible reasons that your refund can be delayed, so it is always a good idea to check the status of your refund. This process has never been faster or easier, so you will now be able to track your refund right into your bank account!
If you have failed to file your tax return or are unsure of how to properly handle your tax debts, give the professionals at Success Tax Relief a call today. You can reach a tax professional day or night by calling 1-877-825-1179.